I, Tonya



Where watched: in theaters

Who with: my girlfriend 😎

As somebody who totally despises the Winter Olympics, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It covers the life of Tonya Harding (Margot Robbie) and her career as a figure skater. Mainly focusing on how she had to deal with an abusive mother (Allison Janney) as well as an abusive husband (Sebastian Stan) while simultaneously struggling with her skating career because she did not fit the wholesome prissy mold of a typical figure skater. All of this eventually lead to the incident where fellow Olympic skater Nancy Kerrigan got her knee bashed in a day before Olympic trials.

I really liked the style of the movie, mixing in interviews and the storytelling was creative. The acting was phenomenal all around. Margot Robbie gave her best performance since About Time, which is the greatest movie ever. Trust me, I am a movie blogger. The awesome Allison Janney was great as the worst mother of all time, winning the golden globe and I wouldn't be shocked if she got the Oscar for it either. Even Sebastian Stan was almost able to make a crazy abusive red neck piece of shit criminal a likable one. I said almost. Here at "Brian Watched" we do not condone abuse of any kind.

What really made this movie great for me was the villain. Every really good film has a great villain to root against and I, Tonya was no exception. No, not the evil mother who wrecked Tonya emotionally and physically. Not the raging lunatic of a husband who not only hit Tonya every chance he got, but also shot a gun at her and organized an assault. I am talking the real antagonist. That bitch, Nancy Kerrigan. Going around acting like she is Tonya's friend while all along trying to snake her way into being better than her at skating by practicing endlessly and working hard just to beat out our hero. Did she care that the judges were bias against Tonya just because she was a little different? Of course she didn't. She just smiled away winning Olympic Medals while our poor protagonist sat and watched. Women can be so cruel to each other. As an audience, we were rewarded with a nice laugh when we got to see clips of her screaming "WHY" after deservingly getting her knee bashed in.

A lot of people had a problem with Tonya Harding getting a round of applause at the golden globes and I agree. It should have been a standing ovation.

Favorite Scene: After Nancy gets drilled, the dumbass who assaulted her couldn't open the door to exit the ice rink so he just smashes his head through the door. I was the only one who laughed in my theater.

Overall Score: 83/100.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Call Me by Your Name

Mommy Dead and Dearest