Battle of the Sexes



Where watched: at home

Who with: my girlfriend 😏
Again, when I watch a movie at home I am not as inclined to like it. I lose focus, and in this case, consciousness.

Battle of the Sexes is the story about tennis player Billie Jean King (Emma Stone) and her tennis match against Bobby Riggs (Steve Carrell). It is a sports story I heard of a lot when I was a kid that never made me very happy. I probably hated women as a child, whatever I was a boy and wanted boys to win.

The movie covers King's fight to get women tennis players the same prize money as men, but this seemed like a movie more concerned with her extra marital affair with her hair dresser, who was a woman. Shocker. Her husband doesn't take long to find out that she is having an affair, and seems to have had an idea that she was a homosexual (more like Billie Jean Queen). A smart and forgiving man, her husband knew it was best to keep this affair a secret from the public eye, because he did not want to mess up his adulterous wife's career. So basically, King's hairdresser had to go around with her while going with the charade that Billie Jean was not her lover. 😁. I couldn't get behind this relationship like I think we were supposed to. I think Billie Jean was a fine protagonist but I couldn't openly root for her extramarital affair, and she was probably better off alone. After all, "love" is actually a bad thing in tennis.

So the movie goes around, being all boring and shit. Steve Carell says some sexist things that are hilarious, blah blah blah. He ends up beating the number one ranked woman in the world in a match that for some reason doesn't really ever get talked about. But then something AMAZING happens. The 29 year old King, a woman, actually beats the 55 year old Bobby Riggs. She really shocked the world. Nobody, and I mean nobody expected a woman (29) to be able to beat a man (55 and retired) in tennis, a game that requires agility and moving around a bunch. A great victory for all of womankind. I am actually willing to bet that WNBA MVP Sylvia Fowles (thanks google), could beat Bill Russell in a game of 1 on 1. Jenny Finch could likely even strike out Hank Aaron even she went up against him. The reason I have such belief is none other than this tennis match that the movie was based on.

Best Scene: Steve Carrell goes into a gamblers anonymous meeting and says the only reason they are all there is because they are bad at gambling. Good point.

Overall Score: 69/100. Yes, I gave it a 69. A true battle of the sexes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Call Me by Your Name

I, Tonya

Mommy Dead and Dearest