Molly's Game



Where watched: Theaters

Who with: Alone, whatever shut up.

Molly's Game is based on the life of Molly Bloom, a former competitive skier (I can relate because I have skied in the Rocky Mountains) who began running very high stakes poker games and got herself into a little trouble with the FBI. The movie is very interesting as she recaps her life and tells some pretty badass stories about the people who played in her games, how she became so rich, and eventually how her life got a little bit out of hand to the point where the Russian mob was breaking into her hotel room to beat the living shit out of her.

This was a Sorkin movie, so there was a lot of dialogue. There were times that Chastain's narration sounded a little bit like a Twista song. To Sorkin's credit, however, this movie was long as hell without ever really feeling like it was long as hell. It held my interest the whole time. Chastain was awesome, as she always was. Idris Elba, who I think is highly overrated, was fine. I like Elba a lot, but I feel like the only role that really gives him his badass reputation that he has is Stringer Bell. Kevin Costner was great as Molly's overbearing prick of a dad. There were also a lot of small parts that got filled in by some familiar faces that will make you wanna check IMDB the whole movie to see where you know that person from.

My biggest takeaway from this movie was that it made me very happy to be as ordinary as I am. Sure, this lifestyle seemed super badass. The elitist of the elite getting together and playing poker with the highest stakes ever and just partying and not giving a shit about their money seemed like they were living very exciting lives. Fuuuuuuck that. I think a lot of people probably see this movie and think about how extravagant and awesome life would be to be this rich. It seemed way too stressful and scary. Even watching the movie made me want to go home and hide in my room forever so that I didn't accidentally get involved with the mob or become addicted to gambling. Maybe it was the fast talking that made me nervous, but I am perfectly happy where I am at in life. Sorry this is a boring review, but I need some more boring after this movie.

It also pissed me off a little bit that Molly didn't name anybody's real names. I spent most of the movie wanting so badly to know which famous people she was actually involved with. Needed to know. I know it was like a big plot point that she wasn't a whistle blower and it said so much about her character but fuck that. I want to know which celebrities are total fucking degenerates.

Favorite Scene: The nice scene with Kostner and Chastain on the bench at the end of the movie. Heartwarming.

Overall Score: 83/100.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Call Me by Your Name

I, Tonya

Mommy Dead and Dearest